Alexandre Carvalho on Sat, 16 Jun 2018 22:44:31 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Athens: Plato’s Academy and its neighborhood are at risk!

Hey Felix;

I appreciate your response as well. And from my end, I do apologize for jumping the gun on Cornelia’s petition request. It is best if we keep ourselves open to a variety of tactical dispositions, for some offer better prospects than others depending on the circumstances.

If this is what you meant, that one has to feel out the environment first - which in Europe and the West in general is pretty dismal - and then devise a better plan, we do see eye to eye. My concern is that we only focus on expressing new forms of entanglement, striving to make state and capital obsolete, and forget that unrelenting repression happens even then.

Anything that resembles self-organizing, autonomous spaces that threaten the current hierarchical orders are attacked. Squats are shut down. Grants go to bullshit research. Free clinics are cited and closed due to “health risks” or obscure fire codes.

I also find the critique of the former comrade interesting, when she notes the strictly analogic means proposed, on a list that aims to explore digital possibilities. Well, then please, how are the avatars of hypermodernity resisting?? with all the hacker brain power we have here, I see little regard or interest in challenging power structures. Thats that privilege creepin’ again. There is a war already on undesirable bodies and people fight the way they can.

Yes to new forms of expressing entanglements
to the interstitial!
          no to virtualities
that are nothing more than an excuse
         for safekeeping your own ________

Anarchy always.

A.

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 6:31 AM Felix Stalder <felix@openflows.com> wrote:
Hi Alexandre,

> I appreciate the reply. And will attempt to debunk your answer that
> collective self-defense is wrong in many levels.

Thanks for responding to my ill-tempered post in a way that turns it
into something interesting. This is nettime :)

> First with equating resistance with the extreme violence that this
> system, everyday, employes to keep everything and everyone in their
> place. It is a privileged position, one that claims to derive from a
> reading of historical record, when actually history tells us that only a
> people that is untammed and ungovernable will shake the foundations of
> the oppressive systems that hold their spirit hostage.

I don't doubt that my views reflect my privileged position. There's no
way around that.

But the point I wanted to make is NOT that street-level resistance is
equal to state violence. Not at all. The point I was trying to make --
against the background of what's happening in Europe -- was that a new
crop of authoritarian politicians are only waiting for a pretext to
crack down on everything and everyone offering open resistance. And, of
course, street-level violence is the easiest pretext possible. These are
no longer liberal politicians who are, in some ways, constrained by
their pretense to live in a lawful society with actual civil rights and
the goal of reaching some democratic consensus. Now, this was always on
ideal and never a actuality, but it imposed some limited. Now that we
are moving into a political field where there are no such limits anymore
and the state apparatuses are more militarized that ever in last 50
years. This is probably not new to communities who have always been
heavily policed, but the way to extends across much wider sectors now is
new.

In this sense, I'm much more with Brian's line of thinking about finding
new ways to express entanglement, building up different ways of being
together as socio-ecological being as a way to build a base for
significant transformation of the current conditions.

> Otherwise, much love, and good luck with the petition.

:)

all the best. Felix

--

 |OPEN PGP:  https://pgp.key-server.io/search/0x0BBB5B950C9FF2AC

#  distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission
Sent from my subjectivity