Morlock Elloi on Sun, 18 Mar 2018 21:31:21 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Troll factories in some shitty St Petersburg office?

I suggest reading Yasha Levine's "Surveillance Valley" for broader context and sanity restoration in general.

This targeted ideologizing has been going on for decades, and rather intensified in the last one. The notion that it was somehow just now applied by a conservative outfit is ridiculous - it's like saying that Las Vegas invented gambling.

Everything described in the article is invisible drop in the sea of what those controlling the infrastructure are doing every second of the day, including this Sunday.

But there are few nice touches - depicting Facebook as a victim and having outsiders doing the evil. Poor Facebook.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2018/mar/17/cambridge-analytica-whistleblower-we-spent-1m-harvesting-millions-of-facebook-profiles-video

Voice of Christopher Wylie, the 28 year-old hipster data scientist:

"We spent a million dollars harvesting tens of millions of Facebook
profiles, and those profiles were used as the basis of the algorithms
that became the foundation of Cambridge Analytica itself...