Morlock Elloi on Thu, 15 Mar 2018 02:07:46 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Nationalising big data

[Sharing a message from the individual that could not post to nettime-l, and my response to it]

I think that fetishizing Big Data is very similar to fetishizing Blockchain. Big Data is a consequence, and putting lipstick on symptoms doesn't get one too far.

The underlying issue (or infrastructure if you will) is plain old surveillance. This time, instead of Stasi bribing individual spies, users themselves get bribed to snitch on themselves. Brilliant model, but it doesn't fundamentally change anything. Would East Germans lobby for Stasi to share its files with everyone, as a solution for the Stasi problem? Probably not.

The idea of domesticating products of the surveillance is sickening, as it implies agreeing to the surveillance in the first place.

Now, enabling everyone to have their own private surveillance infrastructure is a different thing - for example one should be able to individually:

- spy on courts and judges so that they can pick the best venue for their case, preferably with some blackmailing material about the judge;

- spy on the neighborhood to find out who is most likely to sell the house below the market price (unemployment, pending divorce, illness etc.)

- spy on corporations to find out about the future stock prices, or on CEOs' families for kidnap/ransom opportunities;

- spy on the government to predict investment policies based on individual official corruption, then monetize on that. Etc.

That would be equitable empowerment of the citizenry!

Sharing crumbs from the Stasi menu is not it.