byfield on Mon, 1 Jan 2018 17:26:16 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Ten years in, nobody has come up with a use for blockchain

On 31 Dec 2017, at 14:11, Brian Holmes wrote:

the idea of 'dual-use' technologies... is mostly a clerical distinction

So the people behind the DARPA Grand Challenges are clerics?

Ted, we could have a relatively boring discussion about how US military investments have played a role parallel but not analogous to that of central-planning agencies like Japan's MITI when it comes to steering technological development - but either I misunderstand you, or you seem behind the curve on this one? What exactly is your objection?

DARPA / etc certainly aren't clerical, and their impact has been beyond comprehension. And they're also just a vanguardist face of a much larger force. If anything, people tend to grossly underestimate the range and depth of military activities on the fabric of everyday life.

Not so long ago the bucket of stuff we call 'technology' was mostly artisanal: variations on themes whose boundaries were defined by specialized types of labor. In a world were that legacy was still dominant, it made more sense to declare X or Y technologies 'military' and/or 'peaceful.' That's what I meant by 'clerical': file under ____. But times have changed.

More and more energy has gone into filling in the blanks between X and Y: systematic efforts to assemble libraries of knowledge, techniques, and resources that turn the difference between (two arbitrary examples) a 'gun' and a 'ship' into a smooth continuum. So, to offer a silly example, a few centuries ago you'd go to a gunsmith or a shipwright; a few centuries from now you'll say here's the challenge, and the system will spit out some bespoke system that's that's sort of a gun and sort of a ship. But it could just easily be a 'sock' and a 'carburetor' or a 'bobblehead' and a 'stethoscope.' The endpoints matter less than the ability to fill in *all* the blanks between them: resourcing, materials, manufacturing, application, deployment, maintenance, and of course financial.

Biochemistry is a good applied example: if you need a protein with receptors A/B/C arranged in spatial configuration X/Y/Z, then the challenge is to (a) identify the biochemically inert molecular scaffolds that'll support those specifications, then (b) work backwards to figure out which would be most efficient to manufacture, given resources D/E/F. But the boundaries that define biochemistry (or any other field) are becoming porous: increasingly it's just one approach among many for manufacturing whatever.

In such a world, it becomes much harder to declare X or Y technologies 'military' and/or 'peaceful' — or, rather, the definition become more capricious. And, when every aspect of this relies on Turing machines, what exactly are we trying to define? This problem came into clear focus in something Morlock mentioned in earlier, ITAR, the US regulatory structure aimed at limiting 'International Traffic in Arms Regulations,' which until ~1997 classified cryptography as a weapon. Cypherpunks-type led the challenge to that by arguing that math is a form of speech, that you can't prohibit the laws of the universe, etc. But that was just the tip of the iceberg.

With every passing day, we see how seemingly benign things can be 'weaponized.' We could dismiss that phrase as just some lite/pop appropriation of a bureaucratic distinction, but I think that's backwards on every level. It assumes that things that were seen as benign or beneficial are now being misused. But I think the reality is that, for many people, those things were never entirely benign or beneficial — they were just the perks that one part of the population enjoyed. It's not an accident that the weaponization of everything is happening precisely when a certain world order shows signs of collapse. The pearl-clutching classes will look around and tell themselves that the world is changing *because* evil-doers are weaponizing the stable ideas and institutions of society — for example, that Trump won *because* Russia manipulated the US elections. That may be true, but the analysis doesn't end there: we could look back at US efforts to bring down the USSR, or US interventions in others' elections, or the US's neglect of its own electoral machinery, or whatever. But beyond those debates, which are usually moral, we can see how the idea that things are being 'weaponized' is less about how they're being used than who they're being pointed at — 'us.'

Hence my objection to the idea of 'dual-use' technologies: it assumes there are separate domains, war and peace, military and civilian. The freedom to apply that distinction is precious indeed, and it's becoming very fragile. We can respond by quoting lines from Yeats's Second Coming and praying that our retirement savings lasts longer than we do — basically what the 'centrist' US is doing. Or we can recognize what lots of people have been saying all along, that the distinction was never so clear.

Cheers,
Ted