Brian Holmes on Mon, 6 Nov 2017 20:25:07 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Brexit democracy

Wendy Brown was a crucial writer for all those who wanted to understand neoliberalism in the 1990s and 2000s. I subsequently lost track of her, mainly because you can't follow everything but also because I began to perceive her work as an endless critique of the adversary, with no positive content beyond the appeal to an idealized social-democratic order. I hope to be wrong in that assessment, but there are some reasons for it.

For example, the fourth chapter of the "Walled States" book has a very penetrating read of material walls as supports for a fantasy of individual sovereignty, and I think the psychosocial analysis there is profound. But I do not detect either any treatment of the fundamental problem, which is how you build a social democracy that can protect people from the present dangers of economic and ecological existence, while at the same time maintaining the openness of liberal societies. I want to submit this is a real problem.

The Clintonian neoliberalism of the 1990s turned entirely away from the question, on the premise that the unleashing of technology, trade and global finance would supply enough wealth to make it irrelevant. This is still the implicit answer on the Democratic side, from Soros or Gates to Obama or Hillary Clinton. Meanwhile, more radical discourses from the post-68 Far Left just call for open borders, but contribute no ideas about future economic and ecological development, except the pious wish that people left alone will do their own thing and be fine. I think that an open border requires a process of codevelopment, so that people do not flee from one country to the next, but instead interact as increasingly equal and mutually respecting neighbors. That's the opposite of the relation we now have with Mexico in particular, where from Nafta to the heroin trade, gigantic problems are largely (though not only, of course) created by the US. Then, just as Wendy Brown says, the illusion of a wall is invoked against the very clear and present danger of the collapse of the Mexican state, or at least, of that part of the state which was able to support elements of social democracy.

If you go to Mexico and talk to a relatively wide range of people there, then you will realize that the danger is no fantasy. The basic continuity of life for all social classes, from the rural peasants to the middle classes of Mexico City itself, is now threatened and has been so increasingly for at least the last decade. And it should be obvious that major upheavals in a neighboring land which contributes so much to the US population and economy will have major consequences on the US. People are going to flee, and some of those people really will be very dangerous. "Build that Wall" is a horrid and useless response to real problems of the neoliberal form of codevelopment, that the Left - and I mean, both the Center and the Far Left - do not even talk about.

I could go further into the question of how the inability to envisage the future contributes to another clear and present danger, namely the well-named opioid epidemic, which directly involves heroin from Mexico but is even more directly caused by the stupidity of our laws and the criminal avarice of our pharmaceutical industry. However, let that be enough said for now.

In the essay that Ian brings into the mix, Brown says this:

"A robust language of social power is all that can provide a deep account of the devastating inequalities and the unfreedom generated by capitalism along with the legacies of racial and gender subordination. In turn, a language of society is all that can make addressing these inequalities and unfreedoms into a demand on us all, rather than the plaint of interests."

I agree with that, and though it comes at the end of the essay (ie at the point where no further elaboration will occur) at least it's there in principle. Is it an appeal for a stronger state? I don't think so, at least, not so simply. Instead I'd read it as an appeal for a stronger relation between society and the state, whereby positive proposals, emanating from society in its many parts, are instantiated by administrative programs that are continually watched over and guided from the non-state public realm (which maybe should not be immediately compressed into the straightjacket of so-called "civil society"). There's the frame of the conversation that we need - at least in my view, which I'd love to discuss with you all. Otherwise the situation that currently prevails in Mexico will extend to the US, in a local variant to be sure. Instead of wondering when your city will be taken over by narcos and then "taken back" by military forces in collusion with one or another of the cartels, you will wonder when your town will be taken over by armed militias, before being taken "back" by something very new, ie an organized neofascist military state with the full force of the law. In my view, this not-so-rosy picture will become reality if we go on evading the basic questions of ecosocial codevelopment in the twenty-first century.

soberly yours, Brian