Alan Sondheim on Thu, 19 Oct 2017 03:46:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> from today's Washington Post - how to we resist this?

The fascist creep in action:

Attorney General Jeff Sessions said on Wednesday that he reserves
the right to jail journalists, if we have to.

Here's his exchange with Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) during a Senate Judiciary
Committee hearing:

KLOBUCHAR: Will you commit to not putting reporters in jail for doing their
jobs?

SESSIONS: Well, I don't know that I can make a blanket commitment to that
effect. But I would say this: We have not taken any aggressive action against
the media at this point. But we have matters that involve the most serious
national security issues, that put our country at risk, and we will utilize the
authorities that we have, legally and constitutionally, if we have to.

Maybe we  we always try to find an alternative way, as you probably know, Sen.
Klobuchar, to directly confronting a media person. But that's not a total,
blanket protection.

There is a lot of missing context here that Sessions would have been wise to
include, if he were interested in avoiding panic.

Sessions appeared to be reiterating a warning he issued in August, when he said
that as part of the Justice Department's effort to prosecute government workers
who make illegal disclosures of classified information, one of the things we are
doing is reviewing policies affecting media subpoenas.

[...0

========