Nils Reichert on Thu, 5 Oct 2017 05:58:56 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> China’s dystopian push to revolutionize surveillance

Hi Molly,

thank you!
And sorry for the late reply.

I'm specifically interested in the history of (admittedly mainly
western, even european) subjectivity.
There have been a lot of instances of the police-state in the 20th
century and prejudicial profiling has been a thing since the end of
segregation with e.g. use of phrenology in criminal investigations going
back to the 19th century.

The aim to know beforehand the behaviour of a certain stereotyped group
or shall we say clientel also easily goes hand in hand with capitalism.
Therefore it can be seen as mainly a modern phenomenom. My current
understandig coming from literary studies implicates that for example
in autobiographic writing, a change took place in the relation between
the subject and the ruler (also: god) during the advent of modernity.
It changed from the former trying to justify its life as part of the
plan of the latter to the subject presenting to its sucessors how its
life could be steered through a greater plan (and prediction!) of its
more global sourroundings.
Now giving the power of prediction back to some higher, not
semantically but structurally esoteric instance, could indicate a
return for bourgeoise culture to the former relation, as indicated
in another threads headline «return to feudalism».

Deleuze is obviously the right direction for me to look into for an
update on Foucaultian themes. Somehow I wasn't aware of the
Postscript on the Societies of Control.
But it (and of course the further discussiones you linked to) are just
what I was looking for.

Thanks again
Nils