Keith Hart on Wed, 20 Sep 2017 18:31:51 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Managerial capitalism?

That's a lovely essay, Brian, perhaps because retrospective rather than prospective, as well as contemporary. I don't know what your attitude to publishing is these days or where it would go, but imo, taking out the personal frame, it goes as it is.

It is also spot on. Burnham lives in contemporary China. If Max W's two types, market and bureaucracy (the alliance between Rhineland capital and the Prussian army) have been split asunder in the West after their mid-century merger, that doesn't mean bureaucracy has melted away. Where does the Pentagon, the world's largest and most destructive anti-market bureaucracy ever, fit with a reversion to the Gilded Age? Surely the owner-entrepreneurs don't stand to gain from unleashing violence indiscriminately on the world? Disruption of trade, transport and communications would surely follow.

Dyet espite Trump, rationality has not been completely effaced either. The economists still have a role, don't they, unless neoliberalism is already over? Turning interdisciplinary approaches to development into a caste monopoly where fixing the prices is all that matters still has its place, if only to keep the Buffets of our world safe from the masses.

If Nixon had a mad dog strategy for keeping the Kremlin in line, Trump is the mad dog with no strategy, except that the farce isn't funny. Meanwhile, the left has been reduced to a parallel individualism, so that fascists without a plan are confronted in the great wide open by lonely rebels without a clue (Tom Petty).

Not you though. Keep them coming.

Keith