Felix Stalder on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 10:39:07 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Hungarian government chasing CEU

Hi Morlock,

the case is pretty straight forward here. Hungary has an increasingly
totalitarian government. An "illiberal democracy" as Orban calls
it. They are systematically dismantling the basis for independent
thinking. First there was purge in cultural institutions, then tight
control over media and now one of the last bases with a loosely
internationalist outlook (as academia has always had) is attacked.

This is part of a remaking of the mental framework of society, which
goes has far as removing statues of dead philosophers, simply because
they were a) Jewish (aka not patriotic) and b) Marxist (aka not patriotic).

http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/228736/statue-of-gyorgy-lukacs-in-budapest-to-be-removed

The comparison between Soros and the Koch Brothers is a red herring.
Multi-level bullshit scheme to justify the totalitarian power grab.

In this scheme, there always needs to an outside enemy: first it was the
Roma, then the EU, then the refugees, now Soros. This logic inexorably
leads to war. Hungary, at least, has only the means to make live
miserable for its own people. The US, where similar dynamics are at
play, has the means to make it miserable for everyone.

Felix