Dr . Tilman Baumgärtel on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 19:34:58 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Armin Medosch (1962-2017)

   Armin hired me as a staff writer for Telepolis in 1997.

   In those days, being a staff writer meant that I was required to write
   a certain number of words each month for a fixed and fairly generous
   sum. This kind of arrangement has become quite rare these days, where
   most magazines and web publications are in dire financial straits. The
   requirements were loose, and I remember going on vacation for a whole
   month in the summer of 1998 or 1999, without even having to wonder, if
   I would get paid for that time. It just was a given. That was great.

   From 1997 to 1999 I wrote for Telepolis like crazy, before I got hired
   by the daily "Berliner Zeitung". I covered stories from the "internet
   scene" of that time, and there was never any disagreement between Armin
   and me about what was relevant. Like the other contributors to
   Telepolis, that have written about him here already, pointed out ,
   Armin (as well as Florian Roetzer) were enablers and Armin was a great
   editor, because he was keen observer of technology, politics and the
   development of the internet.

   I wrote about the first website of the city of Berlin, early films
   about the internet, important shows of media and net art, the demise of
   Internationale Stadt, and I was able to publish a good number of the
   interviews with net artists that became the the basis of my two books
   on internet art.

   Even though I met him personally less often than I would have liked to
   (I was in Berlin, he was first in Munich, then in London), for these
   two Telepolis-years he was a constant presence in my life, since we
   were in touch by email and over the phone almost every other day. And
   he was a great host and somebody you could party with: I have
   particular fond memories of a visit to London for the Notting Hill
   carnival, when I stayed at his place and when we attended a number of
   memorable Saturnalia.

   I really have to be greatful to Armin because he gave me a chance, that
   contributed to what I am today. If I look at what I wrote about at that
   time, he really let me do what I wanted to do and the results were
   among the best writing I ever did. When I typed my name into the search
   function of Telepolis - like I did after learning about his untimely
   death - it sent me on a time travel trip back to the early days of net
   culture and to one of the most exciting times of my life.

   Armin, I really appreciate the creative freedom you afforded me and
   thank you for letting me write these pieces.

   Tilman Baumg�el

   PS: If you want to see an youthful Armin, look at Christine Bader�s
   film "Hacks", that includes footage from the Stubnitz adventure:

   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f5WFc0lS-k

   Armin is heard more than seen in this film, but you can sense his
   energy, even if you do not speak German...
   --

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Prof. Dr. Tilman Baumg�el