Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक न on Tue, 14 Feb 2017 23:40:01 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> ‘Radio is the theater of the mind’ – 100 quote

   CREATIVE

Radio is the theater of the mind  100 quotes on World Radio Day

   MADANMOHAN RAO

   ,  13 FEBRUARY 2017

<...>

   Each medium has reinvented itself with the advent of successive new
   media waves  with perhaps a few exceptions, such as the near-extinct
   cassette tape! Radio transmission and broadcasting have come a long way
   since developments such as the founding of the Marconi Corporation 120
   years ago, in 1897.

   Radio transformed print media, news, sports, politics, music, home
   entertainment, education and even the driving experience, and would in
   turn have to reinvent itself with the advent of TV, satellite, internet
   and mobile phones. I have had the good fortune of being an RJ in India
   and in the US, on FM radio (WMUA), satellite radio (Worldspace) and
   internet (Radiowalla), each with differing strengths in immediacy of
   user feedback, national reach, breadth of customisable choices, and
   monetisation.

   UNESCO has designated February 13 as World Radio Day, to celebrate
   its strengths in fields like socio-economic development; recent annual
   themes have been women empowerment and youth mobilisation.
   Broadcasters, regulators and audiences alike should nurture and make
   the most of its power, according to Irina
   Bokova, Director-General of UNESCO.

   Asia has added its own flavour to the world of radio, with Kotmale
   radio-internet surfing (Sri Lanka), CGNet Swara (community radio
   via mobiles among tribal communities in India) and even the
   award-winning Kan Khajura Tesan (on-demand entertainment via
   mobile radio in Bihar). See also YourStorys coverage of community
   radio and startups in India such
   as Anchor, Audiomatic, Radio Raja, One
   Beep, and SamaritanPhone.

   Perhaps no invention of modern times has delivered so much while
   initially promising so little, observes Guy Gugliotta. In this
   compilation of over 100 quotes, we capture the promise, potential and
   pitfalls of radio over the decades, as it continues to morph and
   evolve. Happy reading  or, happy listening!

   More than eighty years after the world's first station was founded,
   radio is still the most pervasive, accessible, affordable, and flexible
   mass medium available, especially in the developing world.  Bruce
   Girard

   Community radios provide profound new opportunities for more inclusive
   sustainable development. - Denise Gray-Felder

   Radio pluralism is an essential component in the deepening of the
   democratic process. - Bamako Declaration on Radio Pluralism

   Combining social media and local radio is also a chance to strengthen
   community participation, especially of marginalised groups. - DW
   Akademie

   The internet creates more of an appetite for media - it doesn't replace
   physical books, radio or TV. - Marissa Mayer

   Exponential growth in access to the Internet, satellite television and
   radio, cell phones, and P.D.A.'s means that breaking news now reaches
   virtually every corner of the globe. - Dee Dee Myers

   Radio on the Internet is yet another world-shrinking example of what
   communications analysts call death of distance. - Tim Jones

   Podcast listenership is some 20 times what people are listening to on
   the radio. - Scott Aukerman

   I strongly encourage listening to the radio to hear something you
   haven't heard before. It's a very healthy thing to do. Unless you
   reload your iPods every couple of weeks, you're listening to and
   recycling the same music all of the time. - Alvin Lee

   I think the Internet is an awful lot like FM radio was when it broke
   out in the late '60s. It's kind of a wild and wily kind of format. -
   Roger McGuinn

   Along with several very popular Internet sites, talk radio has served
   as alternative media that gives listeners information that they
   otherwise would not hear. - Paul Weyrich

   I do not buy CDs any more; I usually stream Internet radio. - Oren Peli

   The digital revolution has disrupted most traditional media:
   newspapers, magazines, books, record companies, radio. - Ken Auletta

   Radio killed variety and TV killed radio, and the internet will kill
   television and it will go on and on. - Victoria Wood

   I particularly like Twitter, because it's short and can be very funny
   and informative. It's a little bit like having your own radio program.
   - Margaret Atwood

   Radio is closer to a Tumblr, or a blog, or Twitter, than it is to
   television, I think. - Ira Glass

   People don't listen to terrestrial radio. They don't find their music
   that way. They don't get their news that way. They go to blogs. They go
   through Sirius/XM. - Kaskade

   The fear of the never-ending onslaught of gizmos and gadgets is nothing
   new. The radio, the telephone, Facebook - each of these inventions
   changed the world. Each of them scared the heck out of an older
   generation. And each of them was invented by people who were in their
   20s. - Daniel H. Wilson

   Digital television, satellite radio, videogames, iPods - so much media.
   Do books even matter anymore? - Mo Rocca

   If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd
   still be eating frozen radio dinners. - Johnny Carson

   Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the
   mindless. - Steve Allen

   Being a famous print journalist is like being the best-dressed woman on
   radio. - Robin Williams

   Radio news is bearable. This is due to the fact that while the news is
   being broadcast, the disk jockey is not allowed to talk. - Fran
   Lebowitz

   Radio is a medium of entertainment which permits millions of people to
   listen to the same joke at the same time, and yet remain lonesome. -
   T.S. Eliot

   The way for newspapers to meet the competition of radio and television
   is simply to get out better papers. - Henry Louis Mencken

   European imperialism long ago made Tahiti a distant suburb of Paris,
   the missionaries made it a suburb of Christ's kingdom, and the radio
   made it a suburb of Los Angeles. - Cedric Belfrage

   Because of news broadcast and discussions, illiterates who were in the
   past cut-off from any knowledge of what is going on round the world are
   beginning to follow events around the globe. - Kwesi Kwaa Prah

   TV gives everyone an image, but radio gives birth to a million images
   in a million brains. - Peggy Nooman

   TV cannot compete with radio in servicing multi-ethnic and
   multi-linguistic audiences. - Gareth Price

   Radio will remain necessary to cover news in each region of the world
   and each country in real time and enable young people to find the
   musical color of their choice. - Hervé Bourges

   I was always fishing for something on the radio. Just like trains and
   bells, it was part of the soundtrack of my life. - Bob Dylan

   Radio was the tiny stream it all began with. Then came other technical
   means for reproducing, proliferating, amplifying sound, and the stream
   became an enormous river. - Milan Kundera

   While an educated person might question what they read or hear from the
   media, the uneducated tend to accept it. The uneducated are more easily
   affected by threats and the emotional trauma that propaganda like this
   can create. - John Rucyahana

   The powerful chords that emanated from the radio heated me from the
   inside out, like a microwave. - Sandy Ward Bell

   The radio was shouting at you, pleading with you, and seducing you. -
   David Byrne

   Then radio came in. For the first time people didnt have to leave
   their homes to be entertained. - Kliph Nesteroff

   A world without radio is a deaf world. A world without television is a
   blind world. A world without telephone is a dumb world. A world without
   communication is indeed a crippled world. - Ernest Agyemang Yeboah

   When you listen to radio you are a witness of the everlasting war
   between idea and appearance, between time and eternity, between the
   human and the divine. - Hermann Hesse

   Radio is called a medium because it is rare that anything is well done.
   - Fred Allen

   There is a feeling, when you listen to radio, that it's one person, and
   they're talking to you, and you really feel their presence as one
   person. - Ira Glass

   I've shaken hands with every radio station, from Honduras to Ryan
   Seacrest's. - Shakira

   I think creative people need to do a bit of, you know, tuning into
   every radio station - you just do, otherwise you don't know much about
   other people. - Anne-Marie Duff

   Conservative talk radio works because there are lots of conservatives
   who are convinced that they are not getting the whole story from the
   regular media. - Paul Weyrich

   The left and the right live in parallel universes. - Barney Frank

   If journalism is the first draft of history, then talk radio provides
   an early glimpse into how the meaning of political events will be spun
   for ideological and partisan purposes. - Jackson Katz

   Right now, politics follows the rules of talk radio - using conflict,
   tension, fear, and resentment to find new recruits. - John Avlon

   What you're left with currently is podcast talk radio. - Chris DeWolfe

   It's not just about getting a song on the radio or appearing on
   television. It really is about helping people change their lives one
   day at a time. - Yolanda Adams

   I think it quite likely that we are the only civilization within
   several hundred light years; otherwise we would have heard radio waves.
   Stephen Hawking

   Classic Rock radio gave us our longevity. - George Thorogood

   Creativity shouldn't be following radio; it should be the other way
   around. - Herbie Hancock

   Radio as we know it is pretty much changing completely. - David Lee
   Roth

   Public radio is alive and kicking, it always has been. - Harold Brodkey
   I can turn on the radio right now and be inspired. - Courtney Love

   Most of the music you hear on the radio today is developed for making
   money. It doesn't feel true or honest. You can feel it in the music. -
   Iris Dement

   Music was a very important part of our lives. The radio was on all day.
   - Ruben Blades

   I think good radio often uses the techniques of fiction: characters,
   scenes, a big urgent emotional question. And as in the best fiction,
   tone counts for a lot. - Ira Glass

   If you are interested in ideas, radio is way more pure than television.
   You're not distracted by somebody's nose or hair or posture. You can
   really see how someone thinks and penetrate to the essence of who that
   person is. - Terry Gross

   I love radio - its immediacy and especially its intimacy... it is part
   of your life, whispering into your ear. You can't see it, but equally
   importantly it can't see you. - Malcolm Turnbull

   If data is important, radio is probably not your place. - Evan Davis

   I love theater. I also love radio. I love language. - Indira Varma

   I like to argue with the radio. - P. J. O'Rourke

   TV didn't kill radio, it just added something new to the mix. - Douglas
   Coupland

   I like doing radio because it's so intimate. The moment people hear
   your voice, you're inside there heads, not only that, you're in there
   laying eggs. - Douglas Coupland

   Radio was used powerfully by Josef Goebbels to disseminate Nazi
   propaganda, and just as powerfully by King George VI to inspire the
   British people to fight invasion. - Rebecca MacKinnon

   Demagoguery sells. And therefore radio stations will put it on. - Al
   Franken

   I don't chase what I hear on the radio. I try not to compete with
   anybody. - Ziggy Marley

   I don't listen to the radio very much, but that could be because I
   don't have a car. David Byrne

   Radio dramas have disappeared. Radio acting is now gone. - George Takei

   In radio, you have two tools. Sound and silence. - Ira Glass

   Radio is for driving. - Ira Glass

   When my song came on the radio for the first time, that was one of the
   heaviest things I remember. - John Oates

   Radio is such a perfect medium for the transmission of poetry,
   primarily because there just is the voice, there's no visual
   distraction. - Billy Collins

   We are shallow because our media are so horribly shallow. - F. Sionil
   Jose

   Long drives on packed freeways make everyone a fan of radio. - Leila
   Janah

   Television contracts the imagination and radio expands it. - Terry
   Wogan

   What's commercially viable gets recycled, endlessly repeated, and as a
   result of that, the progressive music can't break in. - Michael Eric
   Dyson

   Gossip is the Devil's radio. - George Harrison

   John Kennedy won the first televised presidential debate among those
   watching it, while Richard Nixon won among those listening on the
   radio. - Susan Estrich

   Radio and TV can still push a band, but things need to be shaken up.
   There is the Internet. - Chris Cornell

   They thought talking movies might eliminate radio as well. But radio
   just keeps getting stronger. - Casey Kasem

   If you have songs on the radio and get played, you've got to have a
   tour to support that. - Alan Jackson

   On TV the people can see it. On radio you've got to create it. - Bob
   Uecker

   When radio stations started playing music the record companies started
   suing radio stations. They thought now that people could listen to
   music for free, who would want to buy a record in a record shop? -
   Niklas Zennstrom

   The main thing that gives me hope is the media. - Jared Diamond

   In radio, you are the game, so to speak - you have to describe every
   aspect. - Marv Albert

   I watch a lot of baseball on the radio. - Gerald R. Ford

   I am amazed at radio DJ's today. I am firmly convinced that AM on my
   radio stands for Absolute Moron. I will not begin to tell you what FM
   stands for. - Jasper Carrott

   With the advent of radio and recording, music became an industry rather
   than just a tradition. - Arlo Guthrie

   Watching television in those days was not the same experience as it is
   today. After years of listening to radio, we found the black-and-white
   images mesmerizing. - Annette Funicello

   When you have a song on the radio your career and your life changes. -
   Loudon Wainwright III

   Radio, in a way, is preaching. - John McLaughlin

   We used to sit around and listen to the radio and not hear anything
   like the stuff we like, so we decided to play it ourselves. - Tommy
   Ramone

   I love radio, but it's a very limited thing today. Everything has to be
   edited down to 3:59. - Anita Baker

   When television began, it modeled itself after radio. - David Gerrold

   The state of radio is not great. It's like playing the lottery. The
   chances of hitting are mind boggling slim. - Teddy Thompson

   Radio continues to be the very best advertising music performers have.
   - Gordon Smith

   It's really hard in this day and age, with radio and MTV being so
   consolidated, to get new music out there. - Josh Schwartz

   I loved being on the radio. Being paid to talk? It's like being paid to
   eat. - Rachel Maddow

   It's not true I had nothing on, I had the radio on. - Marilyn Monroe

   Attend the YS FinTech meetup on Feb 16 and also get an opportunity to
   meet Singapore's fintech accelerator, The FinLab. Register today
   to be a part of the meetup. Only limited slots available.
   --