Molly Hankwitz on Sun, 5 Feb 2017 02:19:32 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> mollygram [(x3): will someone explain, petition for new election, will someone explain]

          [digested @ nettime -- mod (tb)]

Molly Hankwitz <mollyhankwitz@gmail.com>

     Re: <nettime> will someone explain
     petition for new election
     Re: <nettime> will someone explain

From: Molly Hankwitz <mollyhankwitz@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 19:25:11 -0800
Subject: Re: <nettime> will someone explain

Dear David,

I will hop in to put in my understanding to your excellent and timely
question:

Ben is correct about the expansion of the Executive branch after 9/11
and Obama saw that he could push things through quickly through EOs.
Trump has borrowed that idea, probably with his muse, Bannon script
writing, it has been said. But, I will add that Johnson in 1965 signed
off on something called The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965
also called The HartCeller Act of 1965  which "marked a radical break
from the immigration policies of the past. Previous laws restricted
immigration from Asia and Africa, and gave preference to northern and
western Europeans over southern and eastern Europeans. In the 1960s,
the United States faced both foreign and domestic pressures to change
its nation-based formula, which was regarded as a system that
discriminated based on an individuals place of birth.The act did away
with a quota-based system and had relatively few restrictions on
migrants."

Kim points out that we could end up with Pence, who although a
Christian right-winger, would be far more diplomatic with the
international set. It is also a great point to mention that lots of
organizations and opinions and peoples not formerly aligned are now
quite aligned - women, lbgtq, blacks, immigrants - protests are mixed
old and young, all classes - income levels. The sense is that the
entire country as we have known it, through decades, is in peril of
becoming a right-wing dictatorship through and through with the rise of
American fascism at the helm and privatization of nearly ever possible
sector from schools to prisons, to churches being written into law.

As far as the constitutionality of these measures - they are all
generally considered pretty much unconstitutional - not for the form,
but for the content - so, for instance, they may be working on a a law
from 1952, but they have ignored the law from 1965 I mention above.
Despite being executive orders, they can have Congress go against them
by introducing bills against them. Then that all has to be argued.
Trouble is much of Congress thinks its all great, with one or two or a
handful of doubting moderates. The Democrats are listening to the
people, but they are sell outs, most of them so there is growing
disgust with the Dem establish  Almost every example has major legal
flaws and can be objected to on those grounds.

As far as the so-called "Muslim ban" - its constitutionality has
already been challenged by states and cities. Just today, in fact LA
and Massachusetts sued the Administration over the order. And, court
orders or not, there was abuse, and disregard; Homeland Security was
asked to follow the Prez and they did.

Finally, however, is the methodology which has been in the form of what
Naomi Klein calls a "shock" campaign, what you aptly call blitzkrieg.
The EO for the ban was supposed to have gone to a few departments
first, bu they just ordered it without any comment. This tactic raised
chaos as everyone knows, while Trump said it was all great.

It is my opinion that this tactic of willful ordering will continue
whenever DT feels he wants to do something and is fed up with
regulation - one of the going ideological premises of the regime - that
companies are beleagured, as are the citizens, by rules, and so
de-regulate the economy.

Molly