sebastian on Wed, 1 Feb 2017 23:34:55 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> 10 Preliminary Theses on Trump + 10 Preliminary Theses on

When I saw the "10 Preliminary Theses on Trump", what made me feel uneasy was,
mostly, a matter of form: that the "10 Theses" format seemed strangely
anachronistic, inadequate for a phenomenon like Trump, and that of all the
attributes one could have possibly picked, "preliminary" looked like the least
appropriate choice for something written in late January 2017. The most famous
(and most famously wrong) "N Preliminary Theses on Trump" text, Nate Silver's
"Donald Trump's Six Stages of Doom" (1), was published in August 2015, and that
was the time when it was still possible -- reasonable, as Nate Silver would
argue -- to think that "preliminary" might do. That has changed.

Reading the "10 Preliminary Theses on Resistance", I'm sure that each of them
is built around a kernel of truth, but I found it hard to get through the
coating. To me, they sound overly romantic in the best case, and ring like pure
kitsch in the worst. Romanticism may have its place in political critique, but
here, it seems to come at the cost of making actual observations, at the
expense of material reality, and how stuff in it actually works.

So short of making 10 anti-theses (which would be a *real* waste of time), let
me point out just the most glaring examples:

Re 1: Resistance against Trump has already become manifest, not as radical acts
of negation, but as diffuse articulations of discontent. The resistance is in
the streets already, attracted not by pure negativity, but by Facebook events.
That's the "gasoline for the fires to come" (and can we update that metaphor
for the 21st century, please?).

Re 3: There is an inflationary tendency at work here: "an infinite number of
other techniques" is already too many, and as "an infinite number of other
techniques known and unknown", they become entirely meaningless. Even an appeal
to all particles in the Universe, known and unknown, to resonate with the
resistance against Trump, would have a finite number of addressees.

Re 4: I'm vaguely aware of how historians and philosophers have, in the latter
half of the 20th century, attempted to locate the notion and frame the question
of "power". It's always good to try something new, but here, the use of that
concept seems more like a regression. I always thought statements like "power
is most intimately known by those who have lived their lives beneath it" were
no longer possible, and that "those who have historically been most affected by
power" no longer populate our fantasies.

Re 5: "As lines of riot police and make-shift barricades cut the world into a
billion different sides", I have difficulties tracing the very geometry of that
phenomenon. "Which one will you stand on?" Statistically speaking: nowhere near
any of the edges, and most likely alone. And when "ultimately", we wipe the
board clean, and a single "line will be drawn between those who currently (or
seek to) govern, and those who desire to be and insist upon being
ungovernable", then can we please also drill a hole for those who insist that
becoming ungovernable contradicts the very notion of drawing such a line?

Re 9: I don't think anyone doubts that "the crisis has already arrived", and
that it arrived around the same time when the idea that there is "no
possibility of rolling back time" was elevated from wild guess to scientific
fact, or when the observation that "the sheer entropy of the present means that
there is little to hold on to" was reformulated as the Second Law of
Thermodynamics. The crisis is old news, really. What worries me more, however,
is that the above is then immediately followed by the prediction that "watching
the world around us rise and fall at an accelerating rate, those who prevail
will be those who grasp the risks worth taking", because I can't shake off the
feeling that I have read that before, even though I cannot remember where. Is
this still Kevin Kelly, or already Peter Thiel?

And so on. The good news is that none of the above matters much, since there is
and will be resistance, and it must succeed. It may lose some time, trying to
define "success" and "failure" and mapping the vast space that lies in between,
but at some point soon, it will have to define a number of practical goals, and
do all it can to achieve them. If it disregards the "10 Theses", that's fine,
but even if works out exactly, word-by-word like these theses propose, then
tant mieux.

One more thing though. I don't personally know very many people who have been
in an actual resistance movement, but I have a few friends in Cairo, and they
did it: not only sustained the resistance against its many adversaries, but
actually brought down their government, which is what we usually call a
revolution. (And yes, today we have the privilege of knowing how it played
out.) I used to listen to them a lot, and not only heard a few things about
streets and movement and tanks and projectiles and rape and sharpshooters and
night vision and food supplies, but was also reminded of what I think the "10
Theses" attempt to allude to, which is the life-changing experience of taking
part in a protest: how a small series of minor events can be sufficient to gain
the offensive over the state (its police or army or hired goons), and what
happens when the full force of what is normally not leaks into that vacuum, how
the "other worlds that are possible" immediately realize themselves in the
capillaries of the social. For those who have lived it, this is usually a point
of no return, and even though from all I can tell, you're still more likely to
die from a gunshot, or depression a few years later, than to sustain such a
liberated social for long, this experience is an essential part of how you
become ungovernable for good. "Theoreticians who examine the history of this
movement from a divinely omniscient viewpoint (like that found in classical
novels) can easily prove that the Commune was objectively doomed to failure and
could not have been successfully consummated. They forget that for those who
really lived it, the consummation was already there." (2)

But since then, 2011, I have made it a rule to not write anything about
resistance or revolution that any of these Cairo friends -- and they're not
fighters or revolutionaries, they're just friends -- might take as an insult
(extended to include everything that might make me look stupid). It's a good
rule. And even if you don't know anyone in Syria or Bahrain or Kashmir, you
know that these people exist, you can imagine them being your friends or your
readers, you can pretend to be in a conversation with them. Think of them when
you write.

(1) https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trumps-six-stages-of-doom/

(2) http://piratecinema.org/textz/guy_debord_theses_on_the_paris_commune.html