Alice Yang on Mon, 14 Nov 2016 21:21:50 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> What is the meaning of Trump's victory?

I absolutely agree with Angela: "a theory of capitalism that is not also
a theory of racism and gender (and sexuality) is a very poor theory of
capitalism."

There's a lot of talk in this thread about how white dissatisfaction in
the Midwest comes from a so called real place.

As a women of color, I know that I have to work twice as hard for just a
seat at the table (where I will fill a token role and people will talk
over me). To me, the white dissatisfaction in the Midwest is precisely
that: dissatisfaction.

The poor white people who voted for Trump define success the way white
supremacy in this country has made it. They believe they are entitled to
a level of success as white folks which they feel absolutely justified
in denying PoC. Trump's language, about recovering hidden potential and
taking back for "ours" reflects this.

This election is only about some demographics being left behind in a
new, technology savvy industry if you continue the American legacy of
comparing white people to white people differently than comparing them
to other races. Otherwise, quite plainly, it is about race.

Also, Trump won on ALL white demographics, including affluent, college
educated, and female identifying.