Alex Foti on Mon, 14 Nov 2016 12:54:55 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> What is the meaning of Trump's victory?

keith is mindblowing (razorsharp and bighearted at same time) but i
think he misrepresents trump as a neoliberal/neoconservative variant
- this is shocking like reagan was to the 70s but has a properly
fascistic, not a conservative agenda - i mean no neoliberal ever
would propose to deport 3 million people (neoliberalism favors in
general free flows of capital, trade, people exactly in that order).
about federalism: could regionalism be its 21st century equivalent?
catalunyans and scots showing the way?

felix is totally right when he says we have to go back to polanyi -
problem is that the fascism - social liberalism - communism triad is
different today than in the 1930s, namely there's looming fascist
threats in europe (no surprise there), russia and america at the same
time (both of which are somewhat surprising), while china, india,
egypt, south africa are all becoming increasingly authoritarian. so
basically i would surmise that the fundamental conflict (certainly for
euros and anglos) is between NATIONAL POPULISM (aka the nationalist
international) and SOCIAL POPULISM (something which so far lacks
european diffusion and global anchoring, if we except declining
bolivarismo).

more to the point for euros - let's prepare for what will happen after
may 7, the second round of french presidential elections,

lx