Morlock Elloi on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 01:10:55 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Preparing for the War on Cash

It's not inconceivable that, with fully automated production and services (with near-zero human involvement and made 'free' to all), the society can go back to the personal-relationship based economy. You simply don't need anything from someone you don't know.

The million dollar question is ... what are the 'goods' in this kind of economy? The means of enforcement. Guns, ammo, teasers, police robots, electric chairs, automated prison cells, would need to be produced locally and people would keep tabs ("I gave you my electric chair last month for you to execute your neighbor, now you owe me 2 police robots.")

The point of the exercise is that there is no civilization without impersonal relationships mediated by impersonal means (and village fiefdoms don't count as civilization.)