Lorenzo Tripodi on Sat, 25 Jun 2016 22:06:09 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> England leaves Europe

> On 25 Jun 2016, at 03:43, Michael H. Goldhaber <michael@goldhaber.org> wrote:
>
> But what about the fact that those under 50 voted to stay by sizable margins?

this is a fundamental point.

It really looks likes an intergenerational fracture, where aged people
nostalgic of a past world order  (based on imperialistic unsustainable
exploitation) are imposing short minded illusions to the generations
that will be substantially affected by their choice on the longer term .
And the second relevant fracture is  between cities / metropolitan
areas, that massively voted to stay, and peripheral / non concentrated
territories (I don't want to employ the "country" concept, which
definitely dissolved in the planertary urbanisation process).

This mean also the evident inadequacy of present democracy based on
national state forms to represent the real dynamics of territories.

lorenzo

>> On Jun 24, 2016, at 9:54 AM, Brian Holmes <bhcontinentaldrift@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 06/23/2016 11:42 PM, Alex Foti wrote:
>>>
>>> Either We Do Europe Now or We're Dead - meaning the chauvinists
>>> and the xenophobes will bring us back to the European nation-state
>>> that defends itself against migrants and any threat to its supposed
>>> cultural identity, unless we fight for a European Republic, by
>>> coagulating a transnational party for equality, ecology, gender,
>>> cyber, labor rights built on citizen participation and debate, that
>>> builds on the successes of Podemos and En Comù in Spain and
>>> Catalunya, and other instances of radical democracy across Europe, to
>>> dislodge the financial oligarchy and the European Commission which
>>> have brought us to disaster.
>>
>> Yesterday's vote is a stunning development and it foreshadows the
>> possible end of an era shaped, in many positive respects, by 1968 and
>> the immense and diverse forces of liberation that flowered in its
>> wake. As we contempolate what losing all that would look like, it is
>> a sad moment. All that I am, the heart and soul of my political and
>> cultural generation, was formed in the era of open borders.
> <...>
 <...>