Patrick Martin Lichty on Tue, 24 May 2016 01:43:45 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> artfcity: Turbulence.org Going Offline

We talked ab0ut this at ISEA this week, primarily with Tim Murray @ the
Cornell archives.  This is a disturbing thing; and I asked whether what
we were going to wind up with in the end was documentation, which he
said "Maybe"...

You can't send a web server out as a torrent,and Turbulence's files are
likely multi-terabyte if compressed into a single file, which would be
ludicrous to deal with.  The only thing I coudl see, institutionally,
was Murray's idea of a static mirror, which is a thought.

But online communities are living things, and once they stop having a
motive force, they lose their vitality, and just become museums.
Hopefully someone will choose to host a mirror.

Can anyone say The Thing?

On 5/23/16 10:48 AM, Jaromil wrote:

>On May 17, 2016 7:42:11 PM GMT+02:00, nettime's_wandering_archivist <nettime@kein.org> wrote:
>> < http://artfcity.com/2016/05/10/net-art-archive-turbulence-org-going-offline-raising-preservation-concerns/ >
>>
>> Net Art Archive Turbulence.org Going Offline, Raising Preservation Concerns
>
>terrible news, having lived through similar
>times they have all my solidarity.
 <...>