John Hopkins on Mon, 9 May 2016 05:27:33 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Live Your Models

Hei Brian --

While the discussion is interesting, I think for me, the crux of what you have written here is the subject line, which I am sure you chose with that in mind.

It is our daily moment-to-moment practices (praxis!) that most affect the nature of reality and how the world goes. How we *live*: where we 'work', what we are working on, who we work for, how we treat the proximal Others who circulate around us, what we consume, how we consume, how we move around, how we treat our embodied selves,

As I look around to friends, colleagues, and the various Others I run into, I often see a deep dissonance between the models they have in mind and how they actually live. The same pertains to the Self. Very few people go beyond dominant paradigms as it is locally understood to live a life that goes beyond lip-service.

I have in mind a friend here in this small town at the end of the road in rural Arizona -- his daily practice is (literally) built around "DWAM", that is, "Doing With Available Materials" as a former urban planner, and now an alternative home designer/builder, (water harvesting) landscape architect, and all 'round handyman. Given local conditions, he implements his alternative biilding work through (many times) innovative techniques in the DWAM way. It's inspiring to work with him precisely because he has taken a wide range of ideas and brought them into a consequent lived praxis. I love the fact, for example, that he keeps a hard pressure up on the local building inspection regime, pushing them to accept alternative techniques (that they are blissfully ignorant of in the best case) and that are 'no-brainers' for this desertified region. Pressuring the dominant is best accomplished when the model is fully aligned with praxis, and vice-versa.

Of last import is how we speak, what we say -- as the symbolic, while it may be the social source of profound actions and practices -- remains symbolic and is in constant need of being transformed into embodied action, us giving our energies back to reality in more-than-symbolic ways.

Cheers,
John