Joseph Rabie on Mon, 15 Feb 2016 16:36:02 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Life on Autopilot?

   Hallo,

   As Brian says :

   Le 11 févr. 2016 à 22:18, Brian Holmes <bhcontinentaldrift@gmail.com> a écrit :

   Everyone loves satellite mapping, yours truly included, but the
   ambivalence attaching to all dominant social functions can easily take
   over, indeed it already has.

   This is a fascination I share with him, albeit that I have always been
   fascinated with maps, back from the paper era - I could read maps
   before I could read text.

   Computer based maps raise a whole series of questions relative to their
   paper predecessors. The question of scale, for example, since
   theoretically, a single computer map is sufficient, as it contains the
   entire globe and one's neighbourhood at one and the same time - one
   just zooms in and out. However, a map of this sort is reduced to basic
   geometric information, topography, roads, land occupation. What is lost
   today is the at close quarters, art-orientated chorographic vision of
   territory, which was written about by Ptolemy and rediscovered in the
   Renaissance. Chorography was used to create mappings that are both
   topographique and topopoetic, to quote the philosopher Edward S. Casey.
   The eye of the artist, sensitivity towards terrain and habitat were the
   driving force.

   I am trying to reflect on these questions in a thesis on "What Makes
   Place" ("Ce qui fait lieu") in which maps play an important part. Part
   of the research has been making an interactive, participative,
   sensitive map of Greater Paris.

   You can visit it here : http://www.mongrandparis.fr

   For English explanations : http://mongrandparis.fr/a-map-of-greater-paris-for-the-21st-century/

   Bises -