Patrice Riemens on Tue, 5 Jan 2016 11:36:21 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> "And to the others, what would you say, Monsieur Ramadan?"

Full original (in French):
http://www.liberation.fr/france/2016/01/03/tariq-ramadan-versant-inoffensif_1424067

(From an interview with Tariq Ramadan in Paris, December 10, 2015, by
Sabrina Champenois)
(last sentences)

Which author is your preferred? "Rimbaud" (...)[*]. Book? "The Brothers
Karamazov by Dostoyevsky". Componist? "Beethoven". Song? "Léo Ferré's
'Avec le temps' and 'It's a Wild World' of Cat Stevens" [aka Yusuf Islam
since 1977]. (What do you think is) The greatest (personal) quality?
"Empathy". The worst? "Dogmatism". (And) Your major quality?
"Perseverance". Your major defect? "Stubbornness". Who would you like to
be? "No idea ... It's already difficult enough to be oneself". What is
your idea of misfortune? "To loose sense/feeling and to see death". In
which country would you like to live? "In an all-round warm one, with a
warm climate, and one of warm love, of warm humanity". Your favourite
fictional hero? "The hero of Dostoyevsky's The Idiot". And real hero?
"All the courageous, anonymous people". The reform you must would like
to see happen? "The reform of the self". Your favourite color? "Blue".
And animal? "The cat, and black panther". How would you like to die?
"True to my principles". Your current mood? "Serene, and sad". A motto?
"never forget to tell those you love you that love them".
And to the others, what would you say, Monsieur Ramadan?

Q&D Translation by yrs truly
Amsterdam, January 5, 2015

[*] For (...) read: "And please, spare me the usual stupid comments such
as 'Tariq Ramadan likes Rimbauld because Rimbauld showed interest for
Islam' ... which is the absolute lowest point of journalism. Rimbauld
was the poet of revolt, of suffering, and did this with the language of
beauty ... I know half of his poetry by heart ... My thesis in French
literature was about Baudelaire and Rimbaud.