Jaromil on Wed, 29 Jul 2015 18:13:36 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Lori Emerson: What's Wrong With the Internet and How

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015, Juergen Fenn wrote:

> TouchÃ, but in fact it is the network protocols that determine what
> the users can do with their hardware.

some "users" (people? participants?) like to and/or can do whatever they want
regardless of the network protocol.

see: gnuradio http://gnuradio.org

or netsukuku http://netsukuku.freaknet.org

or even something like sniffjoke
http://www.chmag.in/article/aug2011/sniffjoke-%E2%80%93-defeating-interception-framework
the latter is explicitly deceiving the sort of protocol reconstruction by IDS
and intrusion devices, FTR written by an early member of HT who left early.

in fact people can propagate any protocol as long as the gateways lets it flow
further: right now the simpliest way to do this is encapsulating new protocols
inside TCP or even HTTP, but it could be also pushed down under with some
tricks - and people DO play those tricks, I'd rather specify just in case
someone here things corporations like Cisco are infinitely reliable.

the ISO/OSI layer holds only because of what Florian mentions.  If the
protocols would be determining what people can do, then the ISO/OSI
hierarchical model would become some sort of four-dimensional Quillian root
of.. protocol semantics. But it is not, that's just a hippie's dream.

ciao

p.s. dear Lori Emerson, thanks a lot for your interview, its extremely
interesting and absolutely spot-on for the thesis I'm writing.

--
Denis "Jaromil" Roio, Dyne.org Think (& Do) Tank
We are free to share code and we code to share freedom