Jonathan Marshall on Wed, 8 Jul 2015 03:30:32 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Disorder book launch and talks

On the off chance that any nettime members are in Sydney Australia next week

Launch of Disorder and the Disinformation Society: The social dynamics of information, networks and software
http://www.tandf.net/books/details/9780415540001/

Thursday 16 July, Great Hall UTS, Sydney
6.00pm drinks and canap??s for 6.30pm start, concludes 8.15pm

Order Causing Chaos

Has the urgent pursuit of efficiency, innovation and self-gratification blinded us to the destabilising effects of change?

The technological and scientific advances ignited by the industrial revolution are unquestionable. Yet on the flip side its many innovations disrupted communities, economies, ecosystems and the very power structures of nations. Its influence lingers still.

One legacy is our information age ??? powerful computers driven by software of bewildering complexity and indispensable application, enabling interconnectivity to fuel the internet and, in turn, social media linkages across the globe. And it must all surely be good.
In this lecture UTS researchers explore dimensions of the information age where the intended ???ordering??? effects of new information technologies led to disorders never anticipated.

>From light-speed financial transactions making market strife, to social media movements losing momentum for lack of true leaders, join us to discover how disorder from order also shapes us.

Dr Jonathan Marshall, Research Anthropologist
Jonathan researches technology and society, publishing works on online life and gender, information mess, the social-psychology of climate change, and is currently working on climate politics and coal dependence.

Dr Didar Zowghi, Professor of Software Engineering
Based in the UTS Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology, Didar researches the issues and challenges that arise out of communication rich, multidisciplinary activities of software and system development.

Dr Francesca da Rimini, Honorary Research Associate
Currently based with the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology, Francesca is a cultural activist, writer and academic, investigating the radical potential of information communication technologies.

Associate Professor James Goodman
Based in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. He An expert in political sociology researches the role of social movements in international politics, and works on policy agendas to address global crises, including financial and climate crises.

University Hall
Science Building 4,
University of Technology Sydney
745 Harris Street Ultimo

Please register attendance with Robert Button for catering
Email: robert.button@uts.edu.au

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or
attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney.
Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.