Felix Stalder on Mon, 22 Jun 2015 10:21:48 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Amazon pays by the page read

[Ah, there's nothing that cannot be further sliced, broken down and
re-bundled. First the music album, then newspaper, now the book.
Pay per page. How long before there will be scripts that turn the
page, for books you don't want to read, but still want to support the
author? Interesting also that the total amount of fees per page is
fixed in advance. A rise in aggregated numbers of readers will cause
inflation. This is a capitalists dream: expanding the markets without
increasing costs, too bad for content producers. Felix]

Kindle Unlimited Pages Read
https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A156OS90J7RDN

Beginning July 1, 2015, we'll switch from paying Kindle Unlimited (KU)
and Kindle Owners' Lending Library (KOLL) royalties based on qualified
borrows, to paying based on the number of pages read. We're making
this switch in response to great feedback we received from authors who
asked us to better align payout with the length of books and how much
customers read. Under the new payment method, you'll be paid for each
page individual customers read of your book, the first time they read
it.

Royalty payments under the new program

As with our current approach, we'll continue to set a KDP Select
Global Fund each month. Under the new payment method, the amount an
author earns will be determined by their share of total pages read
instead of their share of total qualified borrows.

Here are some examples of how it would work if the fund was $10M and
100,000,000 total pages were read in the month:

* The author of a 100 page book that was borrowed and read completely
100 times would earn $1,000 ($10 million multiplied by 10,000 pages
for this author divided by 100,000,000 total pages).

* The author of a 200 page book that was borrowed and read completely
100 times would earn $2,000 ($10 million multiplied by 20,000 pages
for this author divided by 100,000,000 total pages).

* The author of a 200 page book that was borrowed 100 times but
only read halfway through on average would earn $1,000 ($10 million
multiplied by 10,000 pages for this author divided by 100,000,000
total pages).

We will similarly change the way we pay KDP Select All-Star bonuses
which will be awarded to authors and titles based on total KU and KOLL
pages read.

You can enroll in KDP Select at any time by visiting your Bookshelf.
If you no longer want your book(s) to be included in KDP Select you
may unenroll from the program by contacting us with the ASIN of the
book you would like to remove.