John Hopkins on Fri, 3 Apr 2015 15:23:01 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> nottime: the end of nettime

Hei Brad -

amazing that there is any accolade whatsoever for this
institutionalised censorship! give us less of what you think
we might read! how nice to be sheltered from unwanted
intrusion into your comfy institutionally-sponsored lives!

I understand that I don't know what I don't see on nettime, but I'm smart enough to have other sources of information that is mission-critical to my own existence, and don't rely on Ted and Felix to 100% determine what choices I make in my life. They have taken some of their lifetimes to do this moderation/filtering task which makes nettime more tolerable than, say, the old 7-11 list, etc etc, and for that gift of their time that they will never get back, I am thankful. I don't think there is a conspiracy behind every post.

You cannot politically defy the institutions when all you really wanted was to be
clasped to their bosoms and hope in time to be cherished under the very framework of

furthermore, I have for the duration of this nettime project not had any particular 'institutional affiliation' -- quite to the contrary, I am living on a sustainable retrofit project on a small house in the Arizona mountains. Yes, I do hope to make a small profit in a year or two on my sweat equity.

And indeed, this week's project is retro-fitting a defunct freezer and turning it into a sizeable worm farm so that I can further enrich the poorly treated soil on my property.

At some level, it puzzles me that you pay any attention to nettime if it is so incredibly annoying to you.

John

PS - not to mention that I have in the past supported your work, you may have forgotten this...
Dr. John Hopkins, BSc, MFA, PhD
grounded on a granite batholith
twitter: @neoscenes
http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/