xDxD.vs.xDxD on Tue, 20 Jan 2015 15:36:48 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Ubiquitous Commons and Stakhanov at transmediale in Berlin

   Dear all,
   sorry for crossposting: I think it could be of interest to many of us
   here.

   ----------------------

   Ubiquitous Commons and Stakhanov at transmediale festival in Berlin.
   here

   http://human-ecosystems.com/home/arts-meet-data-at-transmediale-in-berlin-for-a-workshop-on-the-ubiquitous-commons-and-an-installation-on-data-and-privacy/

   and here

   http://www.artisopensource.net/network/artisopensource/2015/01/14/stakhanov-the-bigdata-oracle-for-a-new-era/

   **** about Ubiquitous Commons ****

   Ubiquitous Commons is an international research/action effort in which
   arts and sciences unite forces in the exploration of the ways in which
   the ubiquitous production of data and information is radically
   transforming our daily lives, and about the ways in which people can
   better position themselves in establishing how exactly they wish their
   data to be used, using technological and legal toolkits.

   In current times we are not producing data and information only under
   the form of texts, numbers, images video and other types of simple
   media.

   Today we find ourselves in the condition of constant and ubiquitous
   data and information production through our emotional expresions, our
   opinions, our bodies and organs, our movements, gestures, actions,
   traversals and more.

   This happens wether we realize it or not, through the constant action
   of sensors, service access points, cameras, and algorithms of multiple
   types.

   On top of that, algorithms constitute a radical opacity layer in this
   scenario.

   The data we produce is continuously interpreted, processed and
   categorised by multiple, progressive layers of algorithms, using it to
   produce even more data, meta-data, meta-meta-data and so on, in
   possibly endless progressions.

   This data is used to determine anything from our interest profiles, our
   economic evaluation, our health risk, our emotional profiles, our
   position and roles within communities, relational networks and
   cultures, and can be used without us even realizing it for anything
   from marketing, surveillance, social experiments, A/B testing of new
   service characteristics, and for evaluation of multiple types of
   analysis of our personality and social positioning, wether it is for
   our insurance policy, for our career, to determine wether we are
   terrorists or not and much more.

   On the other hand, this type of data and information could also lead to
   better understanding of our communities, to the possibility for
   emergent constructive action on multiple issues, to the opportunities
   to design inclusive participated actions and practices engaging
   citizens, administrations, companies, organizations, activists and
   more.

   Ubiquitous Commons is the Commons in the age of ubiquitous data and
   information.

   The UC initiative fosters collaborations across arts, sciences and
   humanities to create a philosophical approach through which a protocol
   will emerge in which people will be enabled in deciding how they wish
   their data to be used, and to make sure that this expression is
   enacted. UC does this through the progressive creation of legal,
   technological and aesthetic toolkits which can be easily and
   inclusively adopted and used.

   More information can be found at: http://www.ubiquitouscommons.org/
   (the website currently shows an early manifesto, and will evolve soon
   to reflect the actions and collaborations which have been established
   to achieve these objectives)

   **** about Stakhanov ****

   Stakhanov is a Data God.

   It constantly harvests information which is ubiquitously generated on
   social networks by people of all kinds.

   It uses multiple techniques and technologies to search for patterns in
   this data, and uses these patterns to predict the future.

   It is an Oracle for our emerging data-religion.

   Wether data and information is generated through sensors (for running,
   health, domotics), our activities and habits as we express them online,
   our geographical location, the patterns in which we use our time, or
   our emotions, opinions and relations, Stakhanov uses the processes and
   techniques which are commonly used by major social network operators,
   national security agencies and other operators to classify us and to
   construct predictive models which can be used, among other things, to
   attempt at making evidence-based predictions about where we will be,
   doing which activity, with whom, at what time, and more.

   An All-Seeing Eye, up above, in the Cloud.

   Stakhanov is a playful neo-religious data-invasion of privacy, and an
   exploration on false-hopes and on the ingenuity in contemporary data
   determinism.

   **** At Transmediale Festival in Berlin ***

   Stakhanov will be shown as an installation in the art exhibit of this
   year's edition of the festival, under the theme "Capture All".

   http://www.transmediale.de/content/ubiquitous-commons-open-workshop
   Ubiquitous Commons will be present under the form of an extensive
   two-phase workshop in which we will explore the subject and give better
   form to one of the first elements of the legal and technological
   toolkit which is being produced through the initiative.

   http://www.transmediale.de/content/ubiquitous-commons-open-workshop

   We will be more than happy if you could show up and take active part in
   the initiative.

   Feel free to contact us for more information and details.

   All the best
   --
   Salvatore Iaconesi
   salvatore.iaconesi@artisopensource.net