David Mandl on Thu, 6 Nov 2014 19:12:58 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> How Pandora's Music Genome Project Misrepresents the Way We Hear Music

(Read it now, before the typos are corrected.)

Feature Creeps
How Pandora's Music Genome Project Misrepresents the Way We Hear Music
by Dave Mandl

http://www.brooklynrail.org/2014/11/music/feature-creeps/

"...In the late 1950s, Miles Davis probably spoke for many jazz fans when he said of the avant-garde music of upstart Ornette Coleman, 'If you're talking psychologically, the man is all screwed up inside,' but in 2014 it seems unlikely that many Miles fans would take much notice of the differences that were irreconcilable to him. So a Pandora analyst creating a 'genome' of an Ornette track in 1959, or a big-band record in the 1940s, or a Sex Pistols song in 1976, would certainly come up with a different list of significant features than he or she would today."

--
Dave Mandl
dmandl@panix.com