Felix Stalder on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 13:45:01 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Evgeny Morozov: How much for your data? (LMD)

Nothing to argue against here, but there are two main things that
always irk me with regard to this type of critique.

First, it's absolutely unclear, what from which position the critique
is developed. While it's easy to agree that something is bad -- and
tech utopianism and hyperbole are easy targets for critique -- it's
much harder to say what would be good. EM makes passing reference
to "the common, beloved by radical democrats, or something else"
but that's it. But also long as there is no sense of alternative,
then all such a critique manages to produce is vague fear and
conservative/reactionary sentiments. Not by intention, I presume, but
by effect.

This relates to the second point that annoys me. He calls for the need
of a political analysis, only to offer, well, none. Actually, there
are now a few references to lefty books -- after all, this is LMD --
but this is really underdeveloped. It seems to lack the same extensive
focus on the present/future that he criticizes the tech world for.

Felix