marc garrett on Wed, 28 May 2014 16:45:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Karen Blissett is Revolting

Karen Blissett is Revolting

Ruth Catlow interviews Karen Blissett on New Criticals.

In June 2010, Karen Blissett, a regular participant in art world
debates, via various email discussion lists and social media platforms,
"went multiple". She identified the email address as the kernel of
personal identity in network culture and issued the following invitation:

"Dear Friends.
Please join me.
Literally.
I want to become more open and free, with a more distributed identity.
So if you would like to take a break from yourself and speak and act as
me instead, please drop me a personal email.
If I trust you I will send you my password and you can start expressing me.
Can't wait!
Karen Blissett
--
Open, Free, Public and Distributed at last." (1)

"Karen Blissett inhabits similar terrain to the productively disruptive
and exploratory net identities of 90s audio visual software artists NN
aka Netochka Nezvanova aka Nameless Nobodies; as well as more recent
human-bot combos such Angel_F, a baby Artificial Intelligence by
Salvatore Iaconesi and Oriana Persico (of the Italian art duo Art is
Open Source), created to grow up 'among viruses, technological systems,
digital emotions and stories of the fight for freedom of expression.'
Karen's ontology also rhymes with Piratbyran's chatbot OmniHal, (3)
programmed to welcome users to their Internet Relay Chat channel (used
for years by a group of friends to devise, plan and develop the
philosophies, software and parties that underpinned a particular
flowering of free culture on the Internet). Over time the chatbot mimics
the words and concerns of the IRC users, filling the channel with echoes
of previous exchanges creating a sense of belonging and conviviality."
Catlow.

http://www.newcriticals.com/karen-blissett-is-revolting/print