KMV on Tue, 13 May 2014 04:46:21 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> tensions within the bay area elites

There is also tension within Google, that is interesting to observe.
I have a friend working in Google.org, the humanitarian arm that works
on projects like apps to help find missing persons after some type of
disaster.  he and others there are often extremely frustrated by what
goes on over at google.com, not only because they might disagree on
ethical or political grounds, but also because Google and quite a few
of the big tech joints play at being counter culture, but often have
the effect of making countercultural events and locales too expensive
for the people who started them/built them.

Even so, many people here, while disliking Google for some things,
also recognize that some of the tech giants are making real efforts on
environmental issues, and some of them are trying to at least consider
how they affect local communities.  But sometimes it's hard to
disentangle corporate policy from personal behavior by employees
(whether it's positive or negative).

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Hans de Zwart <hans.dezwart@bof.nl> wrote:

> Hey Geert,
>
> The tension between the Bay area elites is less interesting than the
> grassroots unrest from the 'data-havenots' who are slowly starting to
> feel uncomfortable with the level of governance/jurisdiction that Google
> is having in their lives:
 <...>

--

Kim De Vries