Carsten Agger on Mon, 12 May 2014 10:47:07 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> tensions within the bay area elites

On 05/11/2014 03:57 PM, Geert Lovink wrote:

> To me, it is somehow super clear that Facebook is evil. Not hard to understand. But Google? Why are tensions rising so high lately around them? Look at the tone of the Cory Doctorow blog post to Boing Boing… Don't get me wrong. But have they really gone down lately? In my humble view they are as evil as were a decade ago... What happened? Have we changed?

I think many people have been switching back and forth between being
suspicious, apprehensive and hopeful regarding Google - suspicious
because of their centralization and monitoring, hopeful because of their
technical cluefulness and huge contributions to free software, and
apprehensive because of some of their inclinations towards right-wing
politics - as in Schmidt's case.

On the other hand, I don't see how Doctorow became part of the "bay area
elites". He's a notoriously leftist British-Canadian science fiction
writer living in London. He did live in SF once, but it might take more
than that to become part of the local elite?