Karin Spaink on Mon, 14 Apr 2014 23:00:44 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Will your insurance company subsidize your quantified self?

Also, it's an incentive for self-surveillance and permanent awareness. Monitor your own body, before somebody else does.

(Where is Foucault now tat we desperately need him?)

On Apr 14, 2014, at 20:50 , Florian Cramer wrote:

> This is likely the beginning of a social class and status symbol
> reversal for electronic technology and digital devices. It's
> foreseeable that affordable healthcare, transport, insurance policies,
> pension plans, will only be available to those who subscribe to
> behavioral tracking and control via mobile sensor devices, and have
> themselves monitored for compliant lifestyles. And whatever will be
> left of welfare cheques and unemployment severance pay, will only be
> paid on the condition of behavioral tracking as well.
>
> As Enzensberger's "Rules for the Digital World" suggest - somewhat
> unintentionally -, freedom of electronic devices will be a privilege
> of the wealthy. In the near future, to be upper class will no longer
> mean that you carry the latest electronic gadget, but that you can
> afford the luxury surcharge for a life without tracking devices.

- K -

--
Girls are never what they seem.
  - Philip Marlowe in The Singing Detective, e3