Allister Clisham on Wed, 22 Jan 2014 22:41:08 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Harassing People for Watching a Movie in a Cinema

Yes, I saw this disturbing news about the "Gadgeteer" and his run in with
ICE (the DHS).  Rather amusing though because I received two invites to
join (/buy) the google glass explorer program yesterday as well.  After
reading the article, my desire to wear a device that could potentially
incriminate myself (
http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/06/why-i-have-nothing-to-hide-is-the-wrong-way-to-think-about-surveillance/)
decreased dramatically, so I will have to decline Google's offer.

However, I fully support the use of these for Police and other members of
the security apparatus, as long as they are unable to turn off the
recording capability and everything was uploaded to a trusted third party
in real time.  Perhaps we could start a petition...

-Allister Clisham
+1.202.713.9886 Mobile
+1.773.231.5162 SC

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 8:49 AM, William Waites <ww@styx.org> wrote:

> We used to say, back when collaborating with Steve Mann in the late 1990s
> that it isn't a camera, it's a visual memory prosthetic. I think it's an
> accurate description.
 <...>