Colin Hodson on Wed, 8 Jan 2014 01:40:09 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Anonymous movement in decline?

Hi everyone.

Membership claimed in Anonymous, if claimed as a social identity, is
contingent on not full anonymity, or at least required being linked to
a visible and recurring pseudo-identity - and in that sense being
somewhat visible in its opposition to 'power' was part of the
Anonymous zeitgeist.

In that regard, and moving away from the Anonymous question here, I'm
interested in and assume there is activist organisation using
bitmessage, and I wonder if it will come to figure on a large scale in
the future, particularly as there is work being done to have it
working on mobile phones. Of course the chans and broadcasts are
readable by all, but the work done to unmask an identity would be
arduous. A possible problem with bitmessage broadcasts then is the
opportunity to distribute disinformation precisely because of its
anonymity, which brings up an interesting problem re anonymity and the
legitimacy of a speaker.

cheers,
Colin

--