Yves Bernard on Mon, 16 Dec 2013 02:33:00 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Who remembers CD-ROMs ?...

i agree Joe!
here is a text i wrote end of 2009 in preparation for a symposium about
Media Libraries and Archives for the 21st century which happened at
LAboral in May 2010.

[...] I mean mainly the works made by artists on cd-rom, designed for
personal computer, published by small or major companies, or in limited
edition or self-produced. These works explore the beginning of multimedia
and interactivity, of non linear narration and hypermedia,.. and for many of
us this was the beginning of new expressions well before the standardised
and normative web interfaces that we experience today.

This production was for many artists and designers their first contact with
computer technologies which started to become affordable, and also with
software tools - the so called authoring tools - which required a palette of
multidisciplinary talents, from concept and media creation, to graphical
design, interaction design, and software development. This production was
also part of this utopian movement of a reaching a larger audience through
electronic publishing, of a new cultural economy through cd-rom
distribution, of new artistic and expression territories to explore with
multimedia, interactivity and computer-based processes (e.g. generative or
algorithmic,...)

Some examples:
AntiROM (Andy Cameron now Fabrica director), BLAM!, BlindRom, ShiftControl
(Audiorom), Freak Shows (The Residents), EVE&  Explora (Peter Gabriel),
Puppet Motel (Laurie Anderson), Rehearsal of Memory (Graham Harwood),
Alphabet (dada media), the ArtIntact series (ZKM editions), Anecdoted
archives of the cold war (G.Legrady), Reactive Books (John Maeda), OSS/***
(Jodi), Consumer Products&  The Encyclopedia of Clamps (Barminski), Book of
Shadows (Simon Biggs), infinite cd for unlimited music (Antoine Schmitt,
Vincent Epplay),...
(and there are hundreds of other art examples all over the world...)

Many of the artists, designers, developers who produced these early
'multimedia content' in the beginning of the 90's moved to the Internet or
to digital arts production such as interactive installations... E.g. Graham
Harwood, Antoine Schmitt, Jodi,...

The works produced during this period are highly valuable in their artistic
and/or cultural content as well as in the exploration of interactive and
graphical design, user interface design, multimedia composition and
hypermedia storytelling and documenting. Besides the pure artistic
production, there are various cd-roms which should be preserved for their
design, for opening pioneering genres in interactive media/games, and for
their values as rare and innovative ways of documenting electronic and
contemporary arts practices through hypermedia and interactivity. Examples:
Myst (the Miller brothers), Doors of Perception (Mediamatic), 3rd Biennale
of Lyon (1995, J-B Boissier), Actualite's du Virtuel/Actualizing the Virtual
(J-L Boissier)l, Marie-Jo Lafontaine, Autre Moitie' de l'Europe,  Media Art
History (ZKM), Poetry in Motion (Ron Mann, Voayger), PAWS (David Furlow),...

Most of these works can not be shown on today computers and operating
systems. However, the technologies, software tools, production documents and
expertise are still known by many of us. Before this knowledge is completly
forgotten, before the artists, authors, developers, producers disappear, we
still have some years to preserve this huge cultural heritage of early
electronic content and propose it to the public.
We think it should be possible to show again these works either in public
media libraries or on the Internet, giving them a new life, preserving them
and proposing them to new audiences as part of our recent born digital
cultural heritage. There is a huge potential there, both educative,
artistic, art-historical and content of course...

Also, the topic should be enlarged to the preservation of the last 25 years
of digital art (from interactive installation to net art) and born digital
content, as the methodologies, the techniques (e.g. upgrading, re-writing,
emulation/virtualisation,...), the exploitation and the urgency are very
similar.

Yves Bernard
www.imal.org

On 11/12/13 10:41, JRabie wrote:

>Another part of the history of computer art and media, CD-ROMs, running on
>computer but also on strange machines like Apple's Pippin, seem to have
>quite disappeared from the books. There was that brief period, which
>started with video discs, went on to CD-ROMs, which with the arrival of
>the web and interactive Flash at the end of the nineties was gone and
>quickly forgotten.
 <..>

--
Yves Bernard