Keith Hart on Fri, 6 Sep 2013 13:56:41 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> David Graeber: The modern phenomenon of nonsense jobs

How is this related to the collapse of middle class employment argument?

J S Mill once described colonialism as make-work for the middle classes and
Hegel, in The Philosophy of Right (1821), saw the limits to capitalism
exporting poverty and unemployment through colonial empire. Now it has come
home to roost, but what is being described here isn't the world, is it?
It's the post-imperial West. What are the global consequences of this
development? Good or bad?

If I were sitting in China, India, Brazil or even resurgent Africa, I would
say that the Brits and Americans are welcome to their decadence. makes more
room in the real world economy for others, innit?

Keith