Karen O'Rourke on Sat, 27 Jul 2013 03:05:37 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Whole Earth Conference + Turner interview

Hi Mark,

Thanks for bringing up the "Whole Earth Conference". I wish I had seen the show. Where did you find the interview in English with Fred Turner? I looked through the podcasts and found only the German translation of his keynote.

Following your remarks, I listened to Turner's keynote and am now reading From Counterculture to Cyberculture. I am old enough to remember the 1971 issue of WEC. Seen from France today, Turner's thesis makes a lot of sense. Many people here did not buy into the counterculture, prefering to stick to good old-fashioned agonistic politics.

As for the Wiener/Bateson rift, many people in the arts knew Wiener's work mainly through the Bateson filter.

Karen