Newmedia on Fri, 26 Apr 2013 16:27:53 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Essay-Grading Software

John:

> At this point I am quite pessimistic that the evolutionary drive
> to guarantee propagation of the species, a drive inseparable from
> life itself, and which includes the need for consuming any and all
> energy necessary for survival-to-reproduce, can be short-circuited
> by any altruistic or even pragmatic socio-political (community,
> nation-state, supra-national) agendas, ever.

Are you sure that you adequately understand either humans or their
technological environments?

Humans are *not* monkeys 2.0 (typical mistake #1) and the effects of our
man-made environment on the humans are neither fixed *nor* impossible to
understand (typical mistake #2) -- so, you might consider that you have begun
your "analysis" with the *wrong* premises.

The "pessimism" you reflect is likely based on these *mistakes* and, like
many others, you will find that you have no choice but to re-examine some of
 your fundamental beliefs.

It's time to start asking some *very* basic questions about both humans and
 the environments they make!

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY