Newmedia on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:51:46 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Nobel laureate in economics aged 102 endorses the human economy...

John:

> Although I am haven't the time to promote and explore the
> application a wholistic approach like 'living systems theory'
> or 'general system theory' to such issues . . .

Thanks for bringing this up!  However, in this case, the key  individual is
probably Kenneth Boulding.  Central to his work is the entire  literature
on the "Image" -- which he called "Eiconics" and which (sorta) later  became
"mimetics."

He organized the Ford Foundation funding for the Society for General
Systems Research, from a plan that was hatched at the Center for the Advanced
Study of Behavioral Sciences (also Ford funded.)

He also *did* read McLuhan (and Carpenter, along with their predecessor
Harold Innis, who had been involved in Rockefeller social science funding in
Canada) and tried to incorporate what he learned into his own work on
economics.

When Boulding left Univ. of Michigan (where he was associated with the
Group Dynamics center that had moved there from MIT after Lewin's death) in the
 early 70s, he (and his wife Elise) went to UofColorado at Boulder, where
they  published 5 volumes of his "collected papers."  Little read nowadays,
they  are a trove of details about the "issues" being worked on in the
1950s/60s.

Boulding also contributed to the McLuhan/Carpenter "Explorations" journal
in the 50s and wrote a fascinating review of McLuhan's two early 60s books
in  1965 (reprinted in Vol 4 "Toward a General Social Science").

_http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Papers-Kenneth-Boulding-E/dp/0870810537/ref
=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358865800&sr=1-5&keywords=boulding+collected+pa
pers_
(http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Papers-Kenneth-Boulding-E/dp/0870810537/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358865800&sr=1-5&keywords=boulding+collec
ted+papers)

Elise was also very active in movements for "change" and how those  efforts
relate to history, as shown in her comments appended to the  infamous 1974
SRI/Center for the Study of Social Policy "Changing Images of Man"  --

_http://ce399.typepad.com/files/changing_images.pdf_
(http://ce399.typepad.com/files/changing_images.pdf)

A "retrospective" review of this *manifesto* would be a good idea for an
early issue of "Man and the Economy" -- if Coates/Wang ever succeed in
getting their journal off the ground.

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY