Newmedia on Wed, 28 Nov 2012 18:45:55 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Romantic Nationalism or Digital Politics?

Folks:

I presume that some on this list read the material from  STRATFOR, an
Austin TX based "private" intelligence network (mostly derived from foreign

journalist inputs, according to the Wikileaks internal emails released
last year) run by George Friedman.

George sees everything through  the lens of "geo-politics" -- which is to
say that *geography* (literally natural resources, coastlines,
mountains, rivers etc.) takes priority over everything else in his
analysis.

His latest essay caught my eye for its heroic efforts to ignore what is
really going on in the recent spate of "succession" efforts -- including
Catalonia and Palestine (but apparently not Texas <g>).

_http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/gaza-catalonia-and-romantic-nationalism?utm_
source=freelist-f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20121127&utm_term=gweekly&ut
m_content=readmore&elq=c8990ae3b2734f54b5d8000cdf4fed40_
(http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/gaza-catalonia-and-romantic-nationalism?utm_source=freelist-f&u
tm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20121127&utm_term=gweekly&utm_content=readmore&
elq=c8990ae3b2734f54b5d8000cdf4fed40)

What George calls "romantic nationalism" is  what might be called DIGITAL
politics, if you give priority  to technology and the various ways that
we adapt to new technological  environments (as I discussed in my UN
speech two weeks ago).

The  Westphalian nation-state was, as we would analyze things, *not* the
result simply of geography but rather a  major effect of the PRINTING
PRESS and its ability to tie-together the  various "nations" through
their printed language starting in the 16th  century.

While there have long been attempts to rearrange (or to  engineer) these
borders, what is happening today takes on a new context  because we are
now in a very different *digital*  technological environment.

As a result of focusing on the "wrong" theme  (and, no doubt, their own
limited resources), STRATFOR has completely missed  China -- which they
view as geographically in terrible shape (exposed coast,  surrounded by
enemies, burdened by need to feed peasant population) and  instead
champion Japan as the most important Asian power.

Moreover,  as the above Friedman essay illustrates, by ignoring the
impact of  technology, they are consistently mistaken about major current
events.

The NATION STATE has *long* been  dust-binned (as has been the printing
press as the dominant medium, since  the mid-1800's).

It was replaced by a sequence of "empires" (driven by a  sequence of new
technologies) and, over the past 50 years, by an attempt to  build a
GLOBAL elite -- centered in the ambitions of the group that "won" WW  II,
which can be short-handed as the "Rockefellers" (this time in an
environment dominated by Arthur C. Clarke's geostationary satellite
television broadcasts, which incidentally should have been a clue for
George Friedman that borders don't matter any more!)

The mechanism  used by this group certainly involved the US (and other
governments) but it  was largely promoted by an explosion of
NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS --  starting with the UN, World Bank and
IMF but now with thousands of  NGOs.

A recently published book "Foundations of the American Century: The
Ford, Carnegie, and Rockefeller Foundations of American Power" details
how the "Big 3" were a crucial part of this strategy to build a global
network of like-minded elites --

_http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-American-Century-Carnegie-Rockefeller/dp/
0231146280/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354026765&sr=8-2&keywords=foundation+of+a
merican+century_
(http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-American-Century-Carnegie-Rockefeller/dp/0231146280/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354026765&sr=8-2&keyword
s=foundation+of+american+century)

As the author was scolded (in the Q&A) last year when he presented  the
book at the Hudson Institute, the "networks" that have always been the
focus of these foundations are really not properly called "American," so
Prof. Parmar's "neo-Gramscian" approach (i.e. he gives priority to a
peculiar "Marxist" class-style of "hegemony" analysis) missed the *global*
forest while cataloging all the "national" trees --

_http://www.hudson.org/files/publications/5-31%20Parmar%20transcript.pdf_
(http://www.hudson.org/files/publications/5-31%20Parmar%20transcript.pdf)

In the current US situation, however we might have felt about Obama vs.
Romney,
there is little doubt that the Dems waged a very sophisticated
*cable-television* styled "niche-marketing" campaign, while the  Repubs
were still fighting with an earlier *radio/network-tv*  style campaign.
As we know, the newer technology won that contest.

And as we have already seen, the "relief" that the relentlessly
advertised/hyped election was over (along with the overall low turnout)
-- resulting in a "status quo" outcome that points to something *very*
different in the future.

Is it any  surprise that more-and-more people are "giving up" on
Washington and turning  to state-and-local politics instead?

Could we be going through our own  "de-nationalization" -- as reflected
in Bill O'Reilly's sharp contrasting of  Texas and California (the two
largest states) on his show last night?   How many "nations" are we?

What happens to "American Exceptionalism" in  a world that is finally
recognizing that "nations" are no longer the  unit-of-measure in global
affairs?

We are in a new technological  environment (i.e. the INTERWEB with
"television"
as its contents) and people are adapting accordingly.  Could
*civilizations* now
be a better way to think about society?

And what does DIGITAL  politics look like 10+ years from now . . . when
*everyone* is  encouraged to FEEDBACK from the broadband smartphones we
all carry in our  pockets?

Mark