Nicholas Knouf on Wed, 19 Sep 2012 03:19:06 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> WSJ editor: it's the politicians and their mignons, stupid!

It's interesting---but perhaps not surprising---that the WSJ doesn't
mention another speech by Andrew Haldane entitled "The Race to Zero"
(http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Pages/news/2011/068.aspx)
where he specifically discusses the complexity of high-frequency
trading as problematic:

"The Flash Crash was a near miss. It taught us something important, if
uncomfortable, about our state of knowledge of modern financial
markets. Not just that it was imperfect, but that these imperfections
may magnify, sending systemic shockwaves. Technology allows us to
thin-slice time. But thinner technological slices may make for fatter
market tails. Flash Crashes, like car crashes, may be more severe the
greater the velocity.

Physical catastrophes alert us to the costs of ignoring these events,
of normalising deviance. There is nothing normal about recent
deviations in financial markets. The race to zero may have contributed
to those abnormalities, adding liquidity during a monsoon and
absorbing it during a drought. This fattens tail risk. Understanding
and correcting those tail events is a systemic issue. It may call for
new rules of the road for trading. Grit in the wheels, like grit on
the roads, could help forestall the next crash."

I have not read closely the recent speech by Haldane, but my reading
of this earlier speech and other texts by him suggest that he has a
more nuanced understanding of things than the WSJ is giving him credit
for...

Best,

nick knouf