nettime's_digestive_system on Mon, 21 May 2012 01:36:06 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Capitalism is DIGESTED [x2: newmedia, marshall]

Re: <nettime> Capitalism is FINISHED -- As a Result of the Internet!
     Newmedia@aol.com
     Jonathan Marshall <Jonathan.Marshall@uts.edu.au>

From: Newmedia@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 17:20:49 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: <nettime> Capitalism is FINISHED -- As a Result of the Internet!

[conclusion of previous message that got truncated . . . ]

McLuhan's *own* primary point about "software" is that it leads to PATTERN
RECOGNITION -- not magic and not stupidity.  Popular phrases like "get a
clue" and "too much information" seem to support his insight.

While he is mostly remembered for "the medium is the message" and "global
village" -- both of which were phrases that were used by *advertisers* to
promote their McLuhan wares -- in his *hey-day* the phrase he used most often
 when asked to "sum up" his work was about the effects of the "electric
media  environment" was . . . *pattern recognition.*

He apparently got it from IBM and meant it as a very deliberate
"re-purposing" of a term from Artificial Intelligence.  No, he didn't  believe that
"computers" can THINK.   And, as the subsequent 50  years have shown us, they
can't! <g>

You might be amused by this clip from a 60s television  documentary about
McLuhan, it which he sums things up regarding whether  CHAOS is all we have
to look forward to --

_http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/electric-age/1968-pattern-recognition.php_

(http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/electric-age/1968-pattern-recognition.php)

Unlike so many social scientists who have been paid to figure out to
"regulate" a society that tends towards "disruption and disorder," McLuhan was
deeply committed to the HUMANS and hopeful that our technological
environments could help us all to figure out what is happening on our  own.

After all, why else should we bother to . . . UNDERSTAND  MEDIA?

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY