Jonathan Marshall on Sun, 13 May 2012 02:12:43 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Another insult of the 1 percent: everybody does it!

Mark writes

>The *effect* of digital media is to directly undermine "conspicuous
>consumption" which REQUIRED mass-media to prop it up.  It's OVER!!

Interesting point, but any evidence for it?
I see conspicuous consumption of i-pads and iphones all over the place - even when people's old ones work pefectly well.

Digital economy requires 'vehicles' and transmission and the conspicousness of this seems to be a status claim ('i can download a google of gigabytes a month', 'I keep up to date', 'I'm on top of things' 'Only peasants use PCs' etc etc)

>(Btw, the Chinese appear to have already figured this out but apparently
>none of the Western elites -- or their necessary counterparts, the
>"protesters"  -- seem to have grasped what has already occured.)

so what are the Chinese doing? buying more coal? displacing poorer people for dams, buying palaces for their rich in China and overseas?

jon

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or
attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney.
Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.