Keith Hart on Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:17:25 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Death of the Avant-garde in the Attention Economy

Very interesting, Prem, thanks. I think of time as both linear and
timeless. I have an icon of this idea which I call the T-bar. The
crossbar constructs tense as a line from past through present to
future. The upright is timeless, the present conceived of as rooted
in a continuous past. The two axes intersect in the present which is
therefore inevitably both -- a movement of difference and always the
same. I realise that this does not account for cyclical theories of
time, but I think it says a lot about the modern world.

Keith