Aymeric Mansoux on Tue, 15 Nov 2011 02:22:23 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> My Lawyer is an Artist

Keith Sanborn said :

> Very interesting to consider Mallarmé and OuLiPo in this context.
>
> So is this endgame a condition of history or are there ways out?
> Beyond the mutually exclusive strategies you enumerate? Do you have
> one to propose? Or must we make our own inferences from the
> interstices between the elements of your text?

The only thing that I'd like to propose is an encouragement to artists
interested in the topic to keep in mind that free culture is a hub where
many agendas and interests will collide and overlap regardless of their
personal intention and the one of the license creator. Knowing that
might be a beginning of a strategy.

That said, it is worth mentioning the existence of projects that attempt
to break down the "multidimensional" nature of some free cultural or
open content licenses. Some of which will be familiar to this list's
members: the Peer Production License, the Open Art License, the
exception GPL aka ethical GPL, personal "forks" of the Free Art License,
etc.

In each case, the recipe is the same: isolate an issue that is not
compatible with a mode of production, a creation process, a belief or
philosophy and then forbid/manipulate it as a condition hard coded in
the license.

Such licenses are more than an artistic statement, in the sense of a
purely artistic phantasy, they also aim at founding and building a body
of cultural expressions. But none of them are a way out, instead it is a
way in, a further nesting into some strange legal matryoshka, building
on top of the original copyleft nest within copyright.

Best,
a.
--
http://su.kuri.mu