Geert Lovink on Fri, 28 Oct 2011 23:22:19 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Friedrich Kittler

Thanks a lot for posting this, Tim.

Kittler's dead, for me, somehow mixes in a weird way with OWS and the Eurocrisis.

Something is shifting. In a way I associate Kittler's work with the WWII and the Cold War and the broader history of media and cybernetics of the 20st century.

He died way too young. This is what concerns me most, to be honest.

It is (or was?) such an odd mix, his timely and untimely character. And odd politics: being in fact a very strange radical hippy conservative with no ties to the Left and yet providing the progressive social movements, artists and critics with so new insights and questions concerning the dubious 'nature' of the media technologies we are all involved in.

All the best from Geert