Yosem Companys on Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:54:16 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Fwd: Diaspora* means a brighter future for all of us.

I'm one of the core team members at Diaspora...

I read your email below, John, any my answer is maybe. But just keep
in mind that Diaspora's approach is quite new for social networking.

Until recently, server costs were too high for any social network to
try to be decentralized. And centralization is what has gotten us into
this privacy mess.

Moreover, Diaspora is non-commercial and community-run. Our users
do everything from open-source software development to fan art to
spreading the word to providing support for new and existing users. We
have a great community. Heck, we wouldn't be here, if it weren't for
our Kickstarter crowdfunding. So I think we're also quite unique in
both being both non-commercial and people-centric.

I understand the skepticism, John, but we're the real deal, when it
comes to trying to do the opposite of what these corporate, commercial
networks do. And we'd be lucky to have you on Nettime join us in our
attempt to reinvent the social web.

Thanks,

Yosem