Moritz Geremus on Wed, 20 Jul 2011 00:21:42 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Netherlands should go back to school

Having heard through the whole discussion, among the arguments attempts
like this one is what I miss most. There's a big need for reflection on
the economical situation with the the artworld, which I consider to be
close to the middle ages - with subsidized institutions where the person
to clean the floor gets paid more than the artist. There is hardly any
discussion going on wether how- and to whom financed culture production
has an impact to outside the walls, which is often put aside with the
argumentation of the ambiguity of the results in cultural production and
the commonly well-known "we within our walls" elitist arrogance.

Communication-wise there is a still a lot to learn, as in - what makes a
public artwork public, how far do we need to take our actions outside
the walls, on which levels does cultural production have a message to
whom, and at what point does it become subsidized entertainment for the
more educated/intellectual crowd (reacting to the "art is a leftist hobby"
argument)?

A bit of a philosophical repositioning that way I'd find quite healthy.
Why did we become artists again - not in order to impress other artists,
do we?

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 18:13 +0200, Calin Dan wrote:
> It might be interesting to go beyond the status quo and think along
> the lines of a more pro-active attitude. What could be done to
> contribute to the reversal of the present situation of the visual
> arts in the Netherlands? I take (visual arts + NL) as a case in point
> because this is what I know best, and also because it is an extreme
> case from which extra learning can be extracted, maybe.

<...>

--
http://randomcreations.org