Ibrahim Quraishi on Sun, 26 Jun 2011 20:05:09 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Are we in 1935 Germany or 21st Century Netherlands?

Dear Friend and Colleagues :

How to stop the tidal wave of political extremism in the Netherlands
today? The extreme right PVV and its leader Geert Wilders in
particular have hijacked virtually all the debates on culture,
education, minority rights and freedom of speech, but their
neo-liberal agenda smacks of a particular brand of fascism of by gone
days, as they have co-opted virtually the entire Dutch Political
establishment into this horrific misadventure.

What has become of the Dutch historical tolerance? What are we going
to do to make sure that this country does not fall into the abyss of
irrational right wing fanatics in the name of preserving their own
brand of European-ness. The enemy is NOT Islam. It is NOT struggling
artists, It is NOT the intellectuals, university students, hospital
workers nor even ordinary citizen from all walks of life. The enemy
is really the clique of neo-liberal capitalists who refuse to let go
of their power and their jingoistic fear mongering in the name of
national preservation, for their personal power aggrandizement and
ultimate idealogical control.

I urge you all to please take a moment and look for possibilities of
finding a pro-active way to protest the proposed actions of the Dutch
Government.

We must stand against this tyranny of oppression of using public
funding to silence the public itself!!!

We cannot allow the fundamental destruction of our civil-society for
political expediency that services the right wing agenda here in the
Netherlands or anywhere else!!! This has happened before in the United
States under consecutive presidencies, beginning with Ronald Regan
(1980-1988) and the US have never recovered from its own national
demise. As a matter of public record, education, culture, scientific
research, social services, infrastructure, and all walk of life have
been terribly effected by the American model : unbridled capitalism
without responsibility!

Do we really wish this neo-liberal nightmare to permanently destroy
the foundations of our socio-political, cultural multiplicity?

If all culture stopped for one day, all newspapers stop printing,
all schools stop functioning, all hospitals closed their doors, all
television stations and all other forms of digital media stopped
broadcasting, what would happen???

This may be naive, but there must be a creative way to show resistance
against political tyranny. If change is happening in the Middle East
after 30 years of systematic oppression, we can also find ways to
change our direction before its too late!

Please join me and thousands of others to voice their dismay at the
current demise of culture, civil society and ultimate diversity here.

Monday 27 June
13.00-16.00
Plein & The Malieveld
The Hague

Also please go to other websites like : http://www.schadekaart.nl and
http://www.marsderbeschaving.nl/index_en.php to find out how you can
contribute and get involved in this moment of extreme urgency.

ibrahim quraishi www.ibrahimquraishi.org