roberta buiani on Mon, 16 May 2011 04:54:29 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> ISEA 2011 fees

looks like we are all in the same boat, with panels or papers accepted, a number of friends and colleagues participating and some outrageously high fees to face. in order to pay this amount (and the flight and my stay in a hostel...if there is one..) I'll have to take an extra job :-(

I am not sure if I am more outraged by the fees or by the complete acceptance by a number of colleagues and friends of said fees. speaking about this is considered almost a taboo, especially with precarious academics who seem to "compete" with their more fortunate colleagues (those who can count on prestigious fundings, full time jobs  etc...) without admitting that this cycle is indeed becoming rather unsustainable (and in the long run elitist as soon only the funded and/or institutionalized artists will be able to participate in these events).

anyway, glad that this issue is coming out (thanks Nick), I would be more willing to go through the process of taking an extra job, borrowing money etc.. if I knew that once in Istanbul, I will be able to meet like minded people and will be able to organize an action, an alternative event a performance or anything that might shake up things a little and bring up the issues and the unsustainable politics that this year's ISEA is revealing so dramatically.

I am all for "self-organize a collective inquiry into the development of planetary information/visualization/communication" as Brian suggests.  However,  nick has brought up an issue that keeps repeating over and over again and that I think needs to be addressed in a timely manner at that very event. ISEA is something specific happening here and now. it is different to address a specific event during the event itself  and make it accountable of its decisions,  and to discuss  failures and problems of an event after the event has happened .

my 2 cents
rb

On May 13, 2011, at 1:08 PM, Brian Holmes wrote:

> On 05/12/2011 11:52 PM, Nicholas Knouf wrote:
>
>> These fees make me seriously reconsider my participation in ISEA 2011.
>> I wonder if our money is not better spent organizing a
>> counter-conference that does not discriminate based on ability to pay.
>> Perhaps we would then be able to have a real "international symposium on
>> electronic art".
> Electronic art has always been the bastard child of corporate > sponsorship -- sometimes disguised through the dodgy mediation of > academic prestige. Yet electronic art is one of the most important set = of
> lenses/vehicles that we have for the perception of global systems.
<...>